Sunday, January 11, 2009

UT Christmas

My 2 week break in UT was wonderful. Skied my legs to jello at Solitude two days -- one with my dad and the other with an old college pal, Manolakis. Mano and I relished cutting lines in the slopes that could be seen easily from the lift.

Mano at Solitude catching a snowflake.

Happy thoughts before a fabulous powder run at Solitude:

We did numerous x-country ski tours. In SLC, we skied up Milcreek where we could take our pack of 3 wild dogs (well, really 2 wild dogs plus Howie who is most certainly not wild, but rather a dangerously accurate licker). In Roosevelt, we skied a few different places. Twice to an old oil drill site where there is a drill pipe sticking up, hence the name "stickey-up".

The white bird droppings on top of the drill pipe stickey-up really topped off this wonderful picture of Tim:


Steve and I did an ass kicker backcountry trip to a secret stash of bristlecone pine trees which live to near 5000 yrs old.

Me with a young bristlecone pine:

I really enjoyed using my new AT (alpine touring) ski setup for all of the skiing. Excellent performance. Garmont boots, Shuksan skis, Dynafit bindings.

I tried to fatten myself up on all the wonderful food my mom provided. We played a couple of games of chess, both of which were action packed. I whooped everyone's ass at scrabble (probably a holdover of skills from my spelling bee days) a couple of times.

My dad in his holiday best:

3 comments:

Janie said...

So glad someone got a photo of the mountain man get-up. We're still eating the fattening left-overs.

Poopers AKA 2Ply said...

That pic of the mountain man is great. :) Have you seen Sadie when he dresses up like that? She totally flips out thinking she is a gonner. I've never seen Howard's reaction, but I'm sure he would whoop out his dangerous tongue.

Loran said...

Your dad has a serious sense of style.