Friday, October 3, 2008

Ravel, Mozart, Beethoven

Went with Eina to the a performance at Benaroya Hall. Violin sonatas (i.e. music involving a violinist and a pianist) by four artists were played. The players were pretty hot shot guys. The violinst's mother was scheduled to play piano, but she couldn't make it. Some other high powered pianist replaced her. They started out with Beethoven. Eina wasn't too thrilled with the Beethoven. It really is quite boring when compared with the stuff played next by Ravel (you might've heard his song Bolero .. ). Ravel was much more raucous vs. what was almost predictable from Beethoven. I like Beethoven's full symphony work better than this violin sonata I think (though I'm far from being a Beethoven expert -- Momma tried to teach me piano and I enjoyed learning a tiny bit).

The Mozart was good. I like how he often threw in some minor tones in what is otherwise a flittering melody. I think this is characteristic of Mozart.

Eina and I stayed after the hall cleared out. It was fun to sing out some notes in the hall. What amazing acoustics. Evidently they didn't use any amplification of the sound from the piano and violin.

5 comments:

Janie said...

The acoustics in a good music hall are amazing. What's the engineering involved in that? Maybe this is another research topic for the truth stalker.

Eric said...

the truth stalker simply refers readers to:
http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/res/cox/interdisciplinary/inter_science_reviews.pdf

Below is an amusing quote from that article:

"As the conductor Sir Adrian Boult said: ‘The accommodating a wide range of requirements, and not ideal concert hall is obviously that into which you just acoustics. This article, however, will concentrate make a not very pleasant sound and the audience on the acoustics. When designing a hall, the acoustic receives something that is quite beautiful. I maintain engineer will look at many acoustic factors: the
that this really can happen in Boston Symphony Hall; background noise level, the amount of reverberation it is our ideal.’"

Poopers AKA 2Ply said...

Hey! I didn't see this post or the one below it! I've been just looking at mama's blog on the side where it says when yours was last updated, and I am shocked to be finding out just now that it LIES. That sounds like it was fun, cool that you were able to stay and try out the room.

Poopers AKA 2Ply said...

Huh.. I think I see why these didn't show up, I notice above the title there is no date showing like there is on your other posts. That is strange, do you know why?

Anonymous said...

Benaroya is an amazing hall to perform in. In the hall, or on stage, almost every sound can be heard. I've had friends say they could pick my voice out of a 240 man chorus (my bad - I'm supposed to blend). It takes awhile to learn how to use the hall to its best, tho. I've also sung in Amsterdam's Concertgebouw, which many consider the best hall in the world acoustically. Benaroya compares favorably.