Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Religulous

I thought Maher's new movie, Religulous, was entertaining, reasonably well done, and spoke some truths that we all need to hear again and again until a few things change.

He gets booted off of the Mormon temple grounds, and out of the Vatican. Some truckers, who he is engaging in conversation in their "trucker chapel", almost whip his skinny ass. He meets Jesus on many occasions. Hilariously, he often expresses astonishment with "Jesus Christ!", and often does so when talking to these impersonators of Jesus Christ.

His overarching message is that religion is detrimental to society. Religulous really doesn't make the case for such a sweeping statement. However, I think it makes a good case that Islam and Christianity must reform themselves to prevent "all hell" from breaking loose in the next 100 years.

I read some online reviews, many of which are scathing, accusing Maher of treating his interviewees unfairly. Yeah, I agree. But the world isn't fair and fairy tales may be laughed at sometimes when they are profered as gospel truth. And they may be criticized for encouraging an intellectual vacuum in which "leaders" are free to rape and pillage in the name of some deity/deities.

2 comments:

Janie said...

Under the Banner of Heaven makes the argument that the "groupthink" promoted by religion, not necessarily religion itself, is the root of the problem.
We'll definitely have to see this movie. I love Bill Maher's sense of humor and fearlessness in speaking out about taboo subjects.

Poopers AKA 2Ply said...

This sounds like an interesting book. I have to say I can understand why a person would think that religion is detrimental to society. Seems like it is human nature to want to talk smack about others to make yourself feel more important, and differing religions gives people one more reason to do that. I guess I'm kind of arguing against myself here too.. if it is human nature people will find the next thing to talk smack about if it isn't religion. I still have to read Under the Banner of Heaven.